Proprietors and Employees of The Fair Department Store, including owners Charles W. Wade, fourth from left in photo, and George James Bonfield, third from left. Wade established The Fair in 1897, and was joined about 1910 by Bonfield.
From left to right, in the back row: Mary Thoma (1883-1963), unknown, Carl McFadden, Roberta Hoaglin, unknown. Middle row: Nettie Neibert (1889-1913), Byron Neibert, Etta Stever, the rest unknown. Front row: Cliff Brown (1879-1953), Eliza Bonfield (1876-1949), George Bonfield (1873-1936), Charles W. Wade (1872-1956), Margaret Wade (1870-1925), Bridget Kilfoy (1866-1911).
The Fair Department Store, 54-58 East Burlington Avenue (and 108 South Court St.), Fairfield. c. 1910.
The Fair Store was established in 1897 by Charles W. Wade, joined by George Bonfield around 1910. The celebrated establishment became Rockwood’s Store in 1944, followed by in 1955 by Seifert’s, which sold women’s apparel here for over forty years. The Burlington Avenue facade shown here is now occupied by the west half of Midwest One Bank (58) and by the Bargain Box (54-56).
Korn Popper booth on the corner of N. Main and Broadway, in its second to last incarnation. The booth was decorated by Pamela Macey and used during Art Walk. Read comments about the popcorn stand on Facebook.
“Fairfield Iowa in the Ice Age” was written on the back of this postcard of the entrance to the White Brothers’ Tea Store, known as the “White T Store,” in the early 1900s.
The brothers Louis D. and Loren H. White sold tea and coffee at 107 West Broadway before moving in 1914 to the north side of the Square at 53 West Broadway, where they remained for the next thirty years. Loren’s son Paul White bought his uncle Louis’ share of the store in October 1943, and Paul’s brother Wallace bought his father Loren’s share on February 1, 1946. Paul and Wallace remodeled both the exterior and the interior in 1948, and finally left the Square for a modern store at Burlington and 6th in 1954, where they remained in the 1960s.
The White Brothers’ original store at 107 W. Broadway is now occupied by Walker’s Computer Center; their next store at 53 West Broadway is now From the Heart Scrapbooking and Custom Framing Shoppe, while their store at 507 W. Burlington was occupied in the 1970s by King’s IGA and in the 1980s by Jim’s Jack & Jill, and is now the site of the Hy-Vee Drugstore.
Above: Looking northeast at R. H. Spence’s carriage shop, 121-123 North Main Street, Fairfield, IA ca. 1909, with some of Spence’s vehicles on display out front. R. H. Spence sold buggies here from 1905 to 1915, and afterwards served two terms as county treasurer. He then worked in the Farmers State Bank, on the site of his old shop, before serving as city clerk from 1930 to 1947. To the right of Spence’s shop is a vacant lot at 119 N. Main; to the left across Briggs Street is the Courthouse; and at far left is the the old jail, at 50 West Hempstead, Fairfield.
Below: Much the same view in 2011. Spence’s carriage shop was succeeded by Allen & Streed, farm implements, in 1915, and when the Farmers State Bank rebuilt the building in 1921 and opened in 1922, A. W. Streed was the bank’s vice president and R. H. Spence was cashier. The Fraternal Order of Eagles next owned the building for nearly 50 years, from 1939 to 1988. To the right, when Thomas C. Allen and August W. Streed vacated their premises for the Farmers Bank in 1921, they moved their hardware firm one door south, building on the adjoining lot at 119 North Main. Afterwards known as the Allen-Snyder Company, the venerable hardware business has been owned since 1937 by three generations of Luckmans: Sam, Kenneth, and David. To the left, the recently-restored tower roof gives the courthouse much the same silhouette as in 1909, while the old jail has been replaced by a newer building (barely visible behind the large evergreen), just across the street at 51 West Hempstead, which now houses Jefferson County Human Services.