Then and Now: 505 East Burlington Ave. during the 1930s (above), and as it stands today… photo taken January 2011 (below). Thank you to Barbara Beal for permission to use the 1930s photograph!
Then and Now, Northeast corner of C and Broadway, Fairfield, IA.
Top photo, above: In 1910, the First Christian Church occupied the northeast corner of C and Broadway. The First Christian Church was already at 207 W. Burlington by 1931.
Top photo, below: In 2010, the church has been replaced by a one-story dwelling, but its three neighbors to the east remain virtually unchanged.
Residential homes, then and now, east of the original Christian Church on East Broadway, between C and D streets, detail of above photos:
Before: Located at the northeast corner of Lowe and Fourth Streets, Frank W. Voorhies’s Home Roller Mills (at right) stood at what is now 505 N. Fourth, and his residence (at left) was at 507 N. Fourth. Photograph taken ca. 1909.
Frank’s father-in-law F. B. Huntzinger had built the Grove City Mills, steam-powered with three runs of buhrs, in 1875, and sold the business to Frank in 1889. Click here for brief bio and picture of F. B. Huntzinger.
Probably Frank’s Home Roller Mills were the original Grove City Mills of F. B. Huntzinger
After: A new business building has replaced Frank’s mill, but his house remains intact.
Remember Asher B. Mullenix,the barber and insurance man driving the two-horse wagon? See video.
This is a before-and-after picture of Ash Mullenix’s home at 604 West Burlington Ave. in Fairfield. Bottom picture: in 1909 members of the Mullenix family sit outside of their home on the south side of the street in a pastoral setting on the outskirts of town. Ash is probably holding the reins of two horses on the left. W. Burlington is a dirt road somewhat lower than today’s thoroughfare.
Top picture taken in 2010: Ash was an insurance man, and a century later his yard hosts an insurance business! The old cement steps from the sidewalk are apparently all that remain of his home. To the far right of the stairs at 606 W. Burlington stands a slightly newer hipped-roof house today, with a different footprint but similar foundation-stones to Ash Mullenix’s old home. While the east wing and porch are gone and the new house extends further to the west, some portions of Ash’s old house may remain in the remodeled home today.
An imaginary portrait of the left side of the Mullenix house at 604 West Burlington — for a rough idea of where it was located….