1911 Barber Shop and Bakery

September 2, 2011

Old Chicago, 4th Street, Fairfield, Iowa.

Remember Asher B. Mullenix,the barber and insurance man driving the two-horse wagon? See video: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1663723795304
Members of the Mullenix family were barbers in Fairfield since the 1880s, and Lee Gobble remembers that the small building at 411 North Fourth St. in the middle of this photograph, on the east side of the street just south of the railroad tracks, was once the site of one of their barber shops.

Building to the far right: The Den tavern was listed both at 407 4th St (1964-65) and at 409 4th St (1977-1988) in the Fairfield Street Directories we have access to. For 407 North Fourth our directories show George R. Fry’s grocery and L. A. Munger’s barber shop in 1911, Gus’ Barber Shop in 1937, and The Den in 1964-1965.

For 409 North Fourth our directories show August Kirchner’s bakery in 1911, M. G. Black’s grocery and market in 1931, Arnold’s Used Furniture Shop, and Singer Sewing Machine Agency in 1937, and The Den in 1977-1988.

Previous post:

Next post: