Daniel Parham Stubbs (1829-1905) was born in Preble Co., Ohio to abolitionist Quakers William and Delilah (Parham) Stubbs. He obtained his law degree in 1856 and the next year after touring Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa, he settled in Fairfield, Iowa where he practiced law, partnering for his first five years here with James F. Wilson of Fairfield.
Like his partner, D. P. Stubbs soon entered politics and as a Republican was elected Fairfield’s mayor in 1859 and 1860, and Iowa state senator in 1863-67, when he authored the resolution to ratify the amendment abolishing slavery. On the Greenback Party ticket Stubbs ran unsuccessfully for governor in 1877, for representative in 1879, and for U.S. senator in 1880.
An effective orator and successful defense lawyer, Stubbs defended the notorious Fairfield Iowa desperado Charles C. Scott, alias Frank Rande, in 1878 and against tremendous odds obtained for him a life sentence instead of hanging.
Immediately after the fire of April 1883, D. P. Stubbs built a two-story brick business block at 51-53 S. Court in Fairfield, Iowa. His new Stubbs Block sported a heavy-corniced facade with second-story windows arranged in two groups of five under ornate Romanesque arches.
Daniel and his wife Carrie (Hollingsworth) had four children: Orsino D., Charles Elbert, Cora M., and Minnehaha. In 1885 D. P. Stubbs purchased 400 acres of the old Bayard farm just east of Fairfield, Iowa where with his two sons he imported and bred fine Oldenburg coach and heavy draft horses.